Saving up.

I thought I would take this time out to talk about something that's really important to me but unrelated to the scope of this blog: I'm officially saving up for a house.

After years of hard work, I'm finally in a position where I can save up enough money to make a hefty down payment within the next three or so years. Every penny I make from translations (been freelancing professionally since 2006-ish) goes right into a savings account that I cannot touch, while I live off of my salary from the office.

I'll be home soon! Ha.
It has been my dream of dreams to own a historically significant (read: pre-war or pre-WWI[!]) home in New York since I was a little girl. I'm torn between playing it safe and going for a garden apartment in Jackson Heights or a multi-family townhouse in Bedford Stuyvesant. Though Bed-Stuy is not the safest of neighborhoods, the ability to bring it rental income immediately would offset the mortgage (and insane bargains can still be had for brownstones in that area). Also, I really want to own a home with beautiful period details, crown molding, original hardwood floors and a parlor. ;-)

This is the next chapter of my life and I am one thousand percent invested in making my dream of home ownership a reality.

0 comments:

Post a Comment